Are you sooooo bored of wearing the same wintercap the whole winter? Ready for a change? I was yesterday. So I made this headband from a old cap I have had laying around for years. What is better than buying something new? It is to repurpose something that you already have 💚 The look is a little russian inspired, but hey you gotta still keep warm when it’s winter. And the russians sure knows how to do that! I love the look of the thick headband. But if you don’t you can easily make it in to a more narrow fit.
What you need
- Old cap
- Needle and thread
- Some ribbon or fabrics to match
- Measuring tape
- Your head and a mirror ❤
1. First, cut the top of the cap. I only cut of about 8 cm. Then measure or fold it to make sure you cut it even on all sides.
2. Next you fold the edges towards the middle of the cap. Here you can choose the width of the head band (mine is 12,5 cm), also if you want the edges to meet in the middle. I left a gap of 2 cm. Then the headband will have more “shape” added in by beeing more narrow in the middle part. Fasten with pins and hand stitch and fold in rough edges. Use a cast over stitch which helps the material keep it stretch.
3. Choose the detailing for the front. I ended up with 2 layers of lace (to keep the finishing the same at both sides) wrinkle the headband together in the front, fasten with pins and hand stitch in the back. If you want a more toned down look you can repurpose the top of the cap you just cut off.
4. For the last detailing I added a silk ribbon that I fastened with a straight seam in the back.
Whatya think? Here is pictures of me not being able to casually look away and pretend like my picture is not being taken ❤