Summer Caps Redesign

Do you have some old caps laying around? Maybe they have some spots or you just don’t feel their vibe anymore?

I had a couple of those that was in need of a upgrade. I will show you two methods you can use to upgrade your caps. One you do not even need to sew at all, the other one is a little more intricate, and requires a little more work and patience ❤ I use creation of redesigns as a form meditation, time I use on making something doesn’t really matter anymore. It is how you feel while creating that is the most important. ❤

What I used for “pura pinchi party”

  • Printer
  • Transferpaper for printer
  • Textile glue
  • piece of white cotton fabric 20 cm x 20 cm
  • Pins
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Black fabric pen (for drawing on the cap)
  • (Optional) sewing machine or needle and thread

1. Iron the piece of fabric

2. Place the fabric on top of the front of the caps, pin it so it lays flat and wrinkle free. Cut into the fabric where the line is rounded. Make a dart at the same place as the caps has before

3. Trace the exact line of the cap with a pencil.

4. Add 1 cm in seam-allowance and outline the shape with a ruler .

5. Do a couple of test prints so you find the rignt size of your picture. It needs to fit within the frame of the front cap pattern. Depending on the intended design of course 🙃

6. When the correct size is found. Make the final print on the transfer paper, make sure the paper inserted in the printer the correct way (always read instructions, and yes I have done this wrong many times 😉

7. Place the cap pattern ontop of the printed picture and trace the pattern, remove 1 cm (the seam allowance). It gets very thick if it is left on, so it is better to remove it.

8. Place the picture on the middle of fabric. Iron accordingly to the instuctions of the tranferpaper (mine needed a baking paper ontop and ironed on cotton setting for about 60 seconds)

9. Sew the dart, with machine or by hand. This can also be glued. But I think the results look better with a seam.

10. Cut small inserts around the rounded lines on the side, this helps the fabric lay smoother on the inside. Cut the extra fabric around the “button” on top of the cap so it fits.

11. Carefully fold and glue little by little.

Behold your creation of beauty ❤ ❤ ❤

I also added a mandala inspired drawing on the front cap to cover up a spot. 😉

On the second cap I have mixed painting, sewing, printing, and gluing. This cap I required in Mexico, where it was passed out to all the boys at the party. As the feminist I am, I had to claim it for my self. I think it now has turned out as real statement piece? Now is the question, will I dare to wear it?

I will not go too much in to all the small details of creation here, but give more of an overall idea to hopefully get you inspired enough to create your own design. ❤

What I used for “macho alfa”

  • Fabric paint from panduro, pink, green, blue, red, yellow, gold
  • Fabric pens,
  • Fabric glue
  • Pins
  • Needle and thread in ass colors
  • Old butterfly hairclip
  • Transfer paper (butterfly picture)
  • Vintage applique flower
  • Crochet tablecloths
  • Ass trims and laces
  • Dotting tool
  • Paint brushes

1. I painted the front of the cap with pink approx 3 times drying inbetween

2. Then I added gold dots around the red letters with a dotting tool

3. I painted the palm leaf on the cap with green color. This served a purpose since there was a spot. It works as a great coverup.

4. Creation of different flowers using trims, lace, and painted crochet linens. Every color is carefully chosen and put together according to the placement of the flower. So trying and visualization is important before I choose a color. Of course I painted more flowers than I really used 😉

5. The big flowers got sewn on and the small ones got fastened with fabric glue.

6. The final details on the cap was the butterflies and the metal star. The blue butterfly is created by picture print on transferpaper, ironed on a piece of fabric, then glued on. The black butterfly is an old hairclip I have saved, I removed the clip in the back and sewed it on by hand. The star was just something I had laying around, this was also just glued on.

This is how to easily upgrade some old caps, with just stuff you have laying around. It feels great to repurpose old items that would normally dusted away in a drawer or a cabinet. Only the imagination creates the limits here ❤